When Americans say “Hey Buddy!” to a friend, Germans might for instance say “Na, alter Schwede!”.
Clearly, there must be a reason for that. Somehow, Swedes have apparently earned their reputation as good friends. Before we get to that, let me quickly explain the second meaning of Alter Schwede. In case something unexpected happens or the magnitude/scope of something surprises you, you might shout “Alter Schwede!” as an equivalent to “Wow!” or “What the heck!?!”. German synonyms would be “mein lieber Schwan!” or “krass”
what in the hell germany.
I just got around to seeing this movie, despite the fact that it did not get a wide-release.
Find it and watch it.
Believe me when I say, this film is in the same league of sci-fi/speculative film classics as Bladerunner and Children of Men.
Should have a HUGE fandom.
It deals with issues like class, caste-systems, oppression, and the nature of humanity in a way mainstream films like The Hunger Games never could.
Let me tell you a story about the film-maker Joon-Ho Bong. Some years back, I had the privilege of attending a screening of one his films and the man happened to be there. At that time, he’d already gotten some notice for making The Host, another awesome film that allegorizes heavy issues in humanity.
So, he does the q&a at the end and someone asks him why he’s never produced a Hollywood movie.
…And he says, paraphrasing; that Hollywood would never let him make the kind of movies he’d like. He’d have to hire an all-white cast and the actors would have to fit a certain aesthetic. They couldn’t be non-white, older than twenty-five, or non-thin…especially actresses.
He said, it’s not worth selling out, when he can make the kinds of movies he wants in South Korea.
…And then he makes this.
I’d love to spoil it for you, but suffice it say it was, as all good speculative sci-fi is, very effecting for me.
Again, I beg you PLEASE SEE THIS MOVIE.
And if you need more convincing??
Your faves are in it: Octavia Spencer aka the above flawless actress in the poster, Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, Jamie Bell, John Hurt, Ed Harris and the father/daughter pair from The Host, Kang-So Hung and Ah-Sung Ko (which had me thinking AU!).
Now, I shall commence spamming my tumblr with Snowpiercer reblogs…
Apologies ahead of time.
EDIT: ONE MORE THING!! A critic asked who his current favorite actor is and his answer was Viola Davis…
This was YEARS before The Help.
Release in the US is limited and starts in theaters June 27, 2014. Radius-TWC is the company distributing the film.
why do we need proof that any character is queer why are you assuming that any of them aren’t queer in the first place
Please turn in an essay with in text citations on why you believe this character is straight when they have never claimed to be heterosexual
Sea Waves //since requested
- 250px 400px 500px post sizes
- optional tags and captions
- pixel image for sidebar description
- search bar (input only your username)
- optional post/sidebar shadow
- custom colors for many things
- background cover (if you want to use a background) meaning that your background will stretch and cover the full screen. if you want it tiled then you’d have to remove where it has background-size:cover;
- post opacity option
Also aromantic Eren headcanons are very important
Everyone please take a moment to picture asexual wonderwoman
revel in that glorious image
sad robots : songs about androids
» a mix for the robot boy who’s just self-aware enough to know that he’s broken.
01. one more robot/sympathy 3000-21 - the flaming lips / 02. robot rock - daft punk / 03. i am not young and beautiful - marina & the diamonds/lana del rey / 04. paranoid android - radiohead / 05. sad robots - stars / 06. the body electric - rush / 07. human after all - daft punk / 08. robots - flight of the conchords / 09. machine - regina spektor / 10. mechanical man - devo / 11. sad robot - pornophonique / 12. robot boy - the ghost of a saber tooth tiger 13. cyborgs vs robots - ludo / 14. still alive - jonathan coulton / 15. robots - dan mangan
+ [listen @ 8tracks]